Re: [fluid-dev] Re: MIDI Standard Specs

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: MIDI Standard Specs
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 13:47:49 -0700

Quoting David Henningsson <address@hidden>:
Graham Goode skrev:
Hi,

For GM1 and GM2 specs see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI,
http://www.midi.org/techspecs/gm.php
For GS download a Roland Sound Canvas manual from
http://www.edirol.net/products/en/archives.html and see the appendix
lists
For XG try http://web.archive.org/web/20060926124939/http://www.yamaha.co.uk/xg/reading/pdf/xg_spec.pdf

Hope that helps...

GrahamG

Thanks. I knew about the GM1/GM2 spec URL - that's basically advertising
for buying the spec from the MIDI organization.

Downloading the Roland Sound Canvas manual was a good idea, I could
compare that with the XG spec and if they suggest the same, I could
change FluidSynth default to be in line with that standard. Two examples
are that the default volume of a channel will be 100 (current default
value is 127) and all channels will get instrument 0 as default (current
default instrument is the same as the channel number).

Any objections to these (and similar) changes to make FluidSynth more in
line with the midi specifications?

// David

I think using 100 for the volume parameter is a good idea. As far as the program number being that of the channel number by default, I think that was for convenience of live playing, to be able to simply use different instruments by switching channels. I don't see it as that convenient though and it would probably be good to just use the first program number for all channels, especially if that is part of the MIDI standard. So feel free to make those changes :)

Best regards,
Josh