[fluid-dev] Mapping GS, XG to GM

From: jimmy
Subject: [fluid-dev] Mapping GS, XG to GM
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:08:27 -0800 (PST)

Hi Josh,

With Fluidsynth depends on soundfont files for
instrument mapping.  Let's say we start with one
specific GM soundfont and do the mapping so everyone
is on the same page here.  Tha could be done in code
or configuratin file.

What if we want a different GM soundfont with slightly
different set of instruments.  I suppose that some
kind of a mapping configuration file for that
particular GM sound font (for GS, XG instruments) is
better approach.  This way, people can create and
share configuration files for any common GM soundfonts
and Fluidsynth doesn't have to require specific
soundfonts.

Basically, we could have one configuration per GM
soundfont, which is read in when the soundfont is
loaded.  If that's what we want to do, next up for
discussion is the format of the file, particular
variables/parameters allowd (i.e. special effects,
volume-scaling,...)  So for example, the same drum
sample could potentially sound mellow in one
particular mapping and could sound lively in a
different mapping, which could make 128 GM instruments
sounds like a few hundred instruments.

If it sound like version 2.0 features should consider
this, please feel free to pass it along.  I dont know
anything about version 2.0, only saw it on the
Fluidsynth home page.

Jimmy

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs