Re: [fluid-dev] invalid instrument/drum selection problem

From: jimmy
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] invalid instrument/drum selection problem
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 10:50:46 -0800 (PST)

--- Josh Green <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Jimmy,
>
> On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 16:15 -0800, jimmy wrote:
> > For quick test, I use Kmid to play the MIDI files,
> > connect to Qsynth/FluidSynth wiht QJackctl.  I
> drag
> > the MIDI file to Kmid and it interrupts the
> existing
> > playing, starting to play the new file.  So
> probably
> > Fluidsynth doesn't know much (or just guessing)
> about
> > a new file being played.
> >
> > But how about using FluidSynth as a sound module
> for
> > praticing or live playing?  If a
> song/accompaniment
> > ends, I may still want to have my preloaded
> > instruments exactly the way they are, so I can
> > continue on to the next song and not have to
> reselect
> > all the instruments again.
> >

> If MIDI files were played directly with FluidSynth,
> then it would have a
> concept of when a new one started and could reset
> accordingly.  In the
> case where the MIDI sequencer of FluidSynth isn't
> being used, then it
> could still listen for SYSEX messages requesting GM,
> GS or other modes.
> Not all MIDI files have them, but I have seen quite
> a few of them that
> do.

OK, right now I don't often play a midi file by
fluidsynth directly.  I do use Kmid, PyKaraoke, or
even some Timidity GUI as Jack client to FluidSynth.
Have a separate FluidSynth instance for praticing my
keyboarding.  Recently found Stygmorgan as a software
arranger (for accompaniment).  I don't know how well
each of those apps filter out, or reset in between
segments for the time being.  If they are troublesome,
I may haev to track them down.

> > If I misunderstand the purpose of that flag, my
> bad.
> > Maybe we need a new/different variable/constant.
> >

> No you were right.  The code was not correct.  It
> shouldn't be used as a
> flag at all though, but instead as a constant value
> of 128.  From what I
> can tell SoundFont isn't supposed to have any bank
> #s above 128.

Good, I trust you to make the call on what to do
there.  Though, it is a #define so any existing apps
that uses it may have to be recompiled.

> > I think the single midi file in my first post on
> this
> > list uses a program change on drum channel with
> bank
> > number less than 128 (I suppose GS instruments can
> > accommodate drum channel offset of 128), that's
> what
> > led me to think the flag value should be 128.
> > Especially where it is being used, to check for a
> > valid drum bank.  I think I might have seen drum,
> or
> > special effect bank number 129 before.  That's why
> > think it is an offset, not an absolute number 128.
>
> > Thus the use of "|" or "+" 128 in my code patch.
> >

> I would be really curious to see a SoundFont that
> has a bank # above 128
> and what software created it.  The format itself can
> do it, but the
> standard says its not supposed to sound.  If you see
> one, do let me
> know!

I'll keep an eye out for that.

> > So even if GS spec says to use instrument [0 0],
> the
> > keyboard/sound module maps the drum channel to the
> > equivalent of [128 0].  The [128 0] is the same
> thing
> > if used in other channels.  That's how I interpret
> the
> > GS or any other specs, because drum channel should
> > never use a bank below 128 - unless there is no
> bank
> > 128, of course.
> >

> Agreed, in GM/GS mode FluidSynth should behave that
> way.  I would like
> to keep it general purpose though too, so that if
> someone wants to do
> something else with Channel #10 than percussion,
> they can.

Gerald just mentioned he used channel #10 for
non-drums and all 16 channels.  I mentioned that there
could be more than 16 channels if he needs more
channels to use, but you are right to keep it general
purpose.  For breaking existing MIDIs and apps are not
a good thing to do.

I see you will get pretty busy now at the start of the
year with all these postings :-)  Saw your other
posted messages, too.  I think I'll let you work with
other issues on the list.

Thanks for all the good work.  Take care,

Jimmy

Be a better friend, newshound, and