[fluid-dev] Crashing bug in fluidsynth (CVS)

From: Mo DeJong
Subject: [fluid-dev] Crashing bug in fluidsynth (CVS)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:40:52 -0700

Hello all.

So, I keep running into this crashing bug in fluid_dsp_foat.c line 155.
(This is with the CVS as of Sept 14th 2005)

I am trying to play a midi file on the command line with a small
little SF2 patch I found on the net. Here are the URLs for the
test case that is crashing on my Win32 box in case you want to
reproduce the bug yourself.

http://www.dubiner.com/~mo/fluidsynth/scale.mid
http://www.dubiner.com/~mo/fluidsynth/default.sf2 (90 K)

When I play this via `fluidsynth default.sf2 scale.mid` it crashes
in fluid_dsp_foat.c on line 155:

The problem is that dsp_phase value is a really large
number (1057488896) and the dsp_data[dsp_phase_index]
array is not large enough for this index, so it segfaults.

I did some digging around in the debugger but this problem
was not easy to track down. The voice->phase member
that this value comes from seems to be set here:

fluid_voice.c: 1975

      fluid_phase_set_int(voice->phase, voice->start);

I was not able to decipher what was going on in that
loop or what this phase value was meant to do, but
my hope is that by providing this test case and some
basic info that the developers might be able to hunt
down this bug.

I hope that helps
Mo DeJong