fhsst-authors

Re: [Fhsst-authors] Hsalgebra Figures . . . and Stuff

From: Peter Hutnick
Subject: Re: [Fhsst-authors] Hsalgebra Figures . . . and Stuff
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 11:17:13 -0600

Sam Halliday wrote:

Peter Hutnick wrote:
well... lets kinda go with whats there at the moment, but decide upon a
naming scheme.
That's fine.  I just wanted to voice my concerns.  My conscience is clear

 \label{fig:hsa:wf:desc}

so, basically... the eps file would be easy to name, as it would just be

 eps/hsa-wf-desc.eps

for that case.

i can't see any problems with that... if you can, please let me know and
we can rethink it.

Seems reasonable.

the problem is that we have NO policies, really. when we get the book to
a readable form, we can have a big hacking session to get the internal
LaTeX consistent, and do some "prettifications" which give no technical
ad. but at this stage, we don't want to impose such silly nitpicking
rules on contributors, for fear of scaring them off!
Just as a matter of personal philosophy I /hate/ doing stuff knowing that it will have to be redone. Do you guys say "a stitch in time saves nine?" (We don't, but our Grandmothers do )

I also have some questions about GNUPlot.

it is gnuplot... not GNUplot. it never was, no never will be a GNU (or
GPL compliant, for that matter) program. it has existed since before the
GNU project, and the naming is coincidental.

Ach! Caught in a web of my own assumptions. I'm fully prepared to abandon Gnuplot just for its icky Minix-esqe license. (Same way I did uw pico.)

best advise i could give you... delete all your .gnuplot files and use
pstricks for FHSST, thats what i did
Done.

mark has a good link to a PDF file showing how to really show off with
pstricks, and you can make plots in a matter of minutes instead of
hours. and we will all be consistent

He seems to have just posted the link again.  How convenient for me.

Thanks for bearing with me, and especially thanks for all the help in getting up to speed.

-Peter