fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Proposal: remote execution of Python code

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Proposal: remote execution of Python code
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 18:54:19 -0500

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Richard Jones <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'd like to be able to do stuff like:
>
> open('%s/var/ZEO_SERVER-starting.pid'%ihome).read()
> do_commands('stop_server', ihost, killcmds)

As far as I can tell, those were the only two kinds of method calls
you had in the script that actually affect anything outside the
script, and thus the only things that could possibly require remote
execution.

'open()' could turn into two lines, download() + open() (and I could
definitely see an argument for making a convenience method
encapsulating the two); or, if one didn't need the file interface, it
can already be done in a one-liner, z2pids = run('cat
/location/of/zeo_pid_file') -- as run() returns its output, and I
assume you know what the cat command does!

I don't know what do_commands() does; does it simply execute a local
shell command? Guessing not since you'd obviously know to turn that
into a run() or sudo(); so is it a method you had to import from some
other Python on that remote system? Which would explain your
insistence that Fabric isn't cutting it right now...:)

Please let me know -- I want to make sure I understand your needs
here, even if I do have to end up saying "nope, not happening anytime
soon".

Best,
Jeff