Re: [emms-help] emms-player-mpv ipc-error: connection-error

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: [emms-help] emms-player-mpv ipc-error: connection-error
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2018 23:52:33 +0500

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 20:28:35 +0300
RCV <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The emms doesnot work anymore, after an update . Everytime i try to play
> something i got the following error in the Message bufer:
>
> emms-player-mpv ipc-error: connection-error
>
> Could you help me to fix it?

Recent change was to allow emms to control long-running mpv process
via --input-ipc-server option (for mpv >= 0.17.0), which I guess
doesn't work in your configuration for some reason.

Can you enable emms-player-mpv-debug, and post "emms-player-mpv" lines
from *Messages* buffer?

It can be done by adding this to ~/.emacs:

  (setq emms-player-mpv-debug t)

And then starting playback of anything via emms.
Along with "ipc-error: connection-error" message, there might be
something else that'd give more info about the problem.
All messages from new mpv backend are prefixed by emms-player-mpv there.

Another thing that'd be useful is full output of "mpv -v --version"
command, mostly for build-time configuration options.

Which OS/distro it's happening on, btw?

Finally, likely workarounds:

 - If you have heavily-customized mpv configuration, which causes the
   problem, --no-config or using alternative lighter config file can do
   the trick.

 - Fall back to old way of doing things by setting
   emms-player-mpv-ipc-method to 'file.

Would be nice if you can provide more info so that issue can be fixed
without requiring either of these though.

Thanks for reporting it.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net