Re: [emms-help] Restore playback position

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Restore playback position
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 08:06:37 +0100

Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:

> For instance, an option that (when enabled): if there are bookmarks in
> the track being played, jump to the last bookmark.

Yes, a per-track solution is more ideal than my quick&dirty hack.
I went through this a long time ago and I don't remember well, but I had
tried bookmarks and it simply did not cut it.  I'll investigate again.

That being said, I don't think this would solve the issue of the race
condition:

  (when (not emms-player-playing-p)
    (emms-start))
  (let ((m (funcall search-f emms-playing-time track)))
    (if m
        (progn
          (emms-player-seek-to (cdr m))
          (message "%s" (car m)))
      (message "%s" failure-message))))

The above code suffers from the same issue: it does not wait until the
executable and the music file have entered a state where they can "seek".

I think an optional `seek-to` added to `emms-start` would solve this.
Let me know.

--
Pierre Neidhardt

"Here's something to think about:  How come you never see a headline like
`Psychic Wins Lottery'?"
                -- Jay Leno