Re: [emms-help] Restore playback position

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Restore playback position
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 22:24:15 +0100

Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think an optional `seek-to` added to `emms-start` would solve this.
>> Let me know.
>
> I can't think of a clean way of doing that, and in any case `emms-start'
> is just an `interactive' wrapper and would the wrong place to start
> thinking of this.

> Right now I'm thinking about a function registered with
> `emms-player-started-hook' to call seek-to.
>
> If it critical that the player actually start at that time, as opposed
> to start and then seek, it may be necessary to make a
> `define-emms-simple-player' with the right command line stuff at process
> call.

I meant `emms-start' and the whole hierarchy of callees.  Which boils
down to extending `define-emms-simple-player as you said.  That would be
quite easy I believe.  I don't know if that would break existing
players, but there are not that many and a global update would not be
too demanding I guess.

A hook would not work: when does the hook get run?  There is no way to
know when the player is ready to seek.

> Can you describe the use case? I'm assuming this is for podcasts or
> spoken word stuff (pop songs don't need this, and one normally doesn't
> start in the middle of a classical movement (shudder)) I'm not doubting
> the validity of the need for this; it's just that I would have an easier
> time thinking about it if I knew the specific use.

- Podcasts, audiobooks, anything in which people talk.

- Why not classical movement?  When it's 1 hour long and you suffer an
interuption in the middle of it, you might not want start all over
again.

- If a pop song gets interupted near the end, restarting from the
beginning feels repetitive.

- So... anything, basically.

The point is to recover the playback gracefully (i.e. not lose the
progress) after crashes / sudden shutdowns / restarts, e.g.  if the user
wants to restart Emacs for whatever reason (update, messed up the global
state, etc.).

--
Pierre Neidhardt

  Monotheism is a gift from the gods.