Re: [emms-help] 4.2 release tasks: emms-print-metadata install

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: [emms-help] 4.2 release tasks: emms-print-metadata install
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 12:10:30 +0300

Yoni Rabkin (2016-12-04 16:31 -0500) wrote:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Yoni Rabkin (2016-11-27 17:12 -0500) wrote:
>>
>>> Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:
[...]
>>> Yes. At this point we still want to keep the make phase to be about
>>> elisp. This should be resolved when we decide how to do the compilation
>>> in way compatible with remotely installable elisp packages.
>>
>> Sorry, I don't understand; do you mean installation from ELPA?  But it
>> doesn't care about Makefile at all, so I don't see what problem can be
>> caused by adding 'emms-print-metadata' to 'all' target.
>
> I don't know what the right solution is right now. I'll have to ask the
> emacs-devel people. I don't know of an existing solution that makes
> sense to me. A pdftools-like solution seems too inelegant.

I also don't like the pdf-tools solution, but after all it's a problem
of Emacs package system, as it is intended only to deal with elisp files
(compile them, generate autoloads, etc.), and it also builds texinfo
manuals; but I think there is no good solution to compile binaries with
it.

The author of pdf-tools had to fight with this limitation.  As for EMMS,
it works without emms-print-metadata, so if were you I wouldn't even
bother about building emms-print-metadata for ELPA: Emacs package system
is just not suitable for "make"-ing.

> And
> installing a binary on the user's system by default doesn't sound right
> to me when they are compiling and installing an elisp package; it isn't
> expected behavior.

I disagree with this: when I run "make", I expect that the full software
will be built, not just a part of it (I mean only *.el files), so my
opinion is that 'emms-print-metadata' should be built by default, but
you are the boss here :-)

> Perhaps a message can appear at the end of elisp compilation telling
> users that they can also invoke make emms-metadata and install that, as
> well as pointing people to the friendly manual.

I think it's a good idea... well, building it by default seems a better
idea to me of course :).

--
Alex