Re: [emms-help] Re: emms-setup question

From: Yoni Rabkin Katzenell
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Re: emms-setup question
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:33:47 +0300

Michael Olson <address@hidden> writes:

> Jorgen Schaefer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I would suggest the following four levels:
>>
>> `minimalistic' - My setup. Invisible playlist, just add and be happy.
>> `standard' - Playlist buffer, but no other modifications of the
>>     mode line etc.
>> `fancy' - Everything we have in emms. Show-off.
>> `edge' - Same as fancy, except that here, new features are added
>>     in the development version (to be moved to `fancy' on the next
>>     release)
>> `custom' - A new type, which expects a list of things to use. I.e.
>>     (emms-setup 'custom "~/snd/" '(playlist-mode info mode-line
>>                                    streams lyrics playing-time))
>>     or so.
>
> Come to think of it, could we have an "emms-mode" that is used by
> playlist buffers even in the minimalistic mode?  Then
> emms-playlist-mode could inherit from emms-mode, and could keep any
> buffer-specific variables like emms-playlist-buffer-p.

`minimalistic' should stay exactly that IMHO. If you have interesting
ideas this would be a great time to implement them, but I think that
they should be layered strictly above the core functions (after all
there is an MIT AI memo called "Lisp, A language for stratified
design"). Otherwise we are talking about a change in design.

Not that I have a problem with design changes, but you need a really
good reason to do so.