Re: [emms-help] When will EMMS 2.0 be on savannah ?

From: Jorgen Schaefer
Subject: Re: [emms-help] When will EMMS 2.0 be on savannah ?
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:17:51 +0200

William XWL <address@hidden> writes:

> Seems there are few differences between cvs and darcs. I'm okay with
> either, though i'm more familiar with cvs. But i wonder whether savannah
> supports darcs.

It does, and does not. A darcs repository only requires web space.
This would be possible with Savannah, but I feel bad about hosting
a darcs repository in CVS ;-)

The Savannah hackers are working on bringing arch support to
Savannah, which will enable sftp access. This should make a darcs
repository possible, but not really useful. Darcs is not meant to
be used centrally (and it will have locking problems).

>> I don't think it's useful to move to Savannah before we have a
>> good replacement - a very central part of EMMS for many people,
>
> Yes... First time i was trying with EMMS 2.0, it wouldn't popup the
> playlist really gave me a big surprise. Still suffering with it... And
> this makes me think of putting EMMS 2.0 on savannah, since i think it's
> more comfortable to check out and commit with cvs, than sending mails in
> darcs currently.

You check in to your local darcs repository. That's all you need
to do for it to work at home. That you send the patch is just
useful to tell other developers about it.

Darcs does not have a "central repository" like CVS does. The
development is distributed. Ideally, we all had darcs repositories
on web-accessible machines, and would pull from each other. Since
that's not feasible right now, we use darcs send.

> Do you run a darcs server?

I'm not sure what a "darcs server" is, but I assume you mean
something along the idea of the central CVS repository. No, I
don't. The darcs repositories on my homepage are updated with scp
;-)

>> Also, the info stuff is not yet done. As I don't use ID3 stuff,
>> does the current info stuff work for emms 2? :-]
>
> If you were talking about info retrieval, i didn't find any
> wrong. emms-mode-line-string, playing time... all seem okay.

Good to know, thanks :-)

Greetings,
        -- Jorgen

--
((email . "address@hidden") (www . "http://www.forcix.cx/";)
 (gpg   . "1024D/028AF63C")   (irc . "nick forcer on IRCnet"))