Re: [emms-help] Feature idea

From: Jorgen Schaefer
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Feature idea
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 09:04:02 +0200

Lucas Bonnet <address@hidden> writes:

> (define-emms-playlist pink-floyd t '((emms-source-directory-tree "dir/Pink
> Floyd")))
>
> will create `emms-play-pink-floyd'.

Yep. The code exists locally, and will probably replace
emms-play-all etc. in the near future (read: When I find some
time).

> It looked interesting to me, and I really like it. But I thought about
> something : how about adding a description to that playlist creation,
> and showing a little menu ? Just like the streams, but for favourites
> playlists :
>
> *My Pink Floyd Best Of*
>       "dir/1" "dir/2" ...
> *Rock compilation*
>       "dir/3" ...
> *Georges Brassens*
>       "dir/4" ...

> A bit like the playlist-export capability, but with a
> description, and a menu to choose.

I can add a doc string like

(define-emms-playlist pink-floyd t
  "My Pink Floyd Best Of"
  '((emms-source-directory-tree "dir/Pink Floyd")))

and add this string to any variable. If you want to write the
script to choose from the playlists in the variable, go ahead.
What would you want to be in the variable?

> And of course some helper functions to add to a favourite.

This is non-trivial, as it either requires changing source code
(if you want to combine it with `define-emms-playlist'), or would
require some management facility for files in ~/.emms/playlists/.
(I think I'd prefer the latter)

Greetings,
        -- Jorgen

--
((email . "address@hidden") (www . "http://www.forcix.cx/";)
 (gpg   . "1024D/028AF63C")   (irc . "nick forcer on IRCnet"))