[emacs-wiki-discuss] publishing images (was: resizing and publishing ima

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] publishing images (was: resizing and publishing images)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 23:29:10 -0400

Stefan van der Walt <address@hidden> writes:

> I have a couple of pictures that I want to link into my muse-wiki.
> I place them in a subdirectory "images".
>
> [[images/example.jpg]]
>
> then shows up fine in emacs.  However, the image is not copied to the
> published directory, which means that it doesn't show up in my
> webpage.  Is there a function which automates this?
>
> Further, is it possible to resize an image, i.e. something like
>
> [[images/example.jpg size:0.5]]?

David O'Toole designed org-publish.el (for Org Mode) in a way that
makes this (copying images to the publishing directory) easy.  I'll
probably borrow from his ideas once Muse 3.03 is released.

Basically, we just need to do a couple of small tweaks.

1. Recognize a :publishing-function field (or something
   similarly-named) in the publishing rules in muse-project-alist,
   defaulting to `muse-publish-file' if none is specified.  Candidate
   functions should take the same arguments as `muse-publish-file'.

2. A field called :file-extension needs to be allowed somewhere in
   muse-project-alist.  This would probably just be in the
   non-publishing part, so that an appropriate rule can be added to
   auto-mode-alist to trigger Muse Mode (or Planner Mode, or whatever
   :major-mode is).  This is actually tangential to this particular
   goal, rather than a direct requirement.

Hmm ... maybe we could allow :file-extension in the publishing part of
muse-project-alist, too, so that it could be used as a filter before
we even get to :include and :exclude.  If no :file-extension is given
in the publishing part, but :include is given, the file extension
would not be used as a criterion.  Then if we don't have :include, or
:file-extension, let the file extension default to the value of
:file-extension in the first section of `muse-project-alist', or
`muse-file-extension' if it isn't defined there.  This would preserve
backwards compatibility.

That should give people sufficient flexibility in deciding the
published content goes, I hope.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Emacs Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net