[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: muse as frontend to mediawiki?

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: muse as frontend to mediawiki?
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 22:33:37 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> Michael Olson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> This sounds like an excellent TODO list candidate for Muse 3.04 (two
>> releases away).
>
> That sounds nice!
>
> There are several aspects to this:
>
> - making Muse have the same markup as mediawiki, or other wikis,
> preferably on decidable on a dynamic basis.

Well, mediawiki will be one of many possible markup choices, with the
default being Muse's native markup format.  The markup to use for Muse
Mode (in-Emacs display of files) should probably be specified by
muse-project-alist.

> I havent looked into this, but I sense that its already possible.
>
> - opening and saving pages to mediawiki
>
> mediawiki.el was supposed to do this, but it has problems with
> authentification. I was able to hardcode in my mediawiki
> authentification cookies, but it still didnt work, because aparently
> the cgi interface had changed.
>
> The Trac wiki supports an xml-rpc interface, that maybe is standard.
> See http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/XmlRpcPlugin

It looks like Muse will need to allow people to choose their preferred
publishing function, much like org-publish.el, in order for this
happen.  I'm in favor of that, because I like the possibilities that
it opens up (like copying pictures and other content to the publishing
directory, which is an often-requested feature).

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Emacs Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net