[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: vc and planner?

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: vc and planner?
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:20:55 +0900

Jody Klymak <address@hidden> writes:

> One of the greatest advantages of planner for me is keeping track of
> where things are that I've done.  To that end, I'd like to get the
> directory name in the file name and make it a wiki link.

Excellent idea! =)

> planner-annotation- does not work because by the time log-edit is
> called we have switched to the *VC-log* buffer.  log-edit-files does
> not return the directory name, and I'm ashamed to say that I do not
> know how to return the current directory in elisp.  Even worse,
> *VC-log* has buffer-file-name nil.

I'd suggest advising the function that brings up the *VC-log* buffer
so that it does something useful like storing the current directory
directory in a variable before opening the log.

Ah, here's how it can work:

- Whenever you call log-edit, notice the filename and store it in some
  variable. This will probably be a list.

- After you commit, iterate over the list, getting vc-workfile-version
  for each file and coming up with the links you want to use in your
  planner note.

You may be able to get it to produce a note like this:

.#2 Commit planner-config.el 1.2, emacs-wiki-config.el 1.5

       * annotation
       * annotation
       * annotation

where the source text is

.#2 Commit
[[/Users/jklymak/emacs-common/planner/planner-config.el][planner-config.el]]
1.2, [[/Users/jklymak/emacs-common/planner/][emacs-wiki-config.el]] 1.5

       * annotation
       * annotation
       * annotation

> And even slicker would be the ability to associate the note with a
> plan page, rather than just the daily pager.

Feel free to steal ideas from remember-planner.el. There's a
remember-planner-add-xref there.

I'll add planner-copy-note to my TODO, but probably won't be able to work on
it this weekend.

(defun planner-copy-note (page &optional xref)
 "Copy the current note to PAGE.
Link both notes to each other. If XREF is non-nil, replace the original
note body with a link to the note on PAGE."
 (interactive (list (planner-read-non-date-page (planner-file-alist))
                    current-prefix))
 ;; Some magic goes here.
 ;; planner-narrow-to-note might be useful.
 ;; planner-update-note from planner-experimental
)

Come to think of it, perhaps planner-update-note should just be extended so that
it creates the note if necessary, and allows the transformation of the current
note into a cross-reference if you feel like it.

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, CS ed