[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: setq instead of custom-set-variables

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: setq instead of custom-set-variables
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:25:29 -0500

TC <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 07:56, address@hidden wrote:
>> I customised Emacs into writing its customisation file somewhere
>> else, and load that file from ~/.emacs.  That way, customize has
>> its own playground, but doesn't touch ~/.emacs.  Doing that made me
>> feel much safer (after an early customize version once erased half
>> of ~/.emacs).
>
> That sounds good, and much better than having .emacs get squished.
>
> But I still share Sacha's liking for modularisation.  I like to be
> able to hand a fellow worker a more or less self contained blob of
> lisp if they ask me "how do I do that thing you do?"  The problem
> with the customize-group thing is that it seems to want to shove all
> customization into one place - .emacs or, in your case, another
> file.

Have you tried initsplit before?  It can be found at
<http://newartisans.com/johnw/Emacs/initsplit.el>.  It's what I use.
Just customize the `initsplit-customizations-alist' variable,
specifying that files matching a regexp go into a certain file, and
you're set.  The only caveat is that it doesn't touch face
customizations.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- Web: http://www.mwolson.org/
Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net -- IRC: bigmike160 on freenode.net: #muse, #pulug