Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: setq instead of custom-set-variables

From: TC
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: setq instead of custom-set-variables
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:58:31 -0600

> When setting things by hand, I usually check the custom declaration
> for any :set declarations. For example, emacs-wiki-journal-* tends to
> use emacs-wiki-journal-option-customized. Basically, that just
> translates into a call to (emacs-wiki-journal-update-wiki-project)
> after your last setq. Hope that helps!

Ah, OK that worked.  Thanks.

The reasons I'd prefer to do it manually are:

1. a basic aversion to having GUIs (or GUI-like things, such as
customize-group) sneakily editing my files without my knowledge

and

2. The cryptic warning that customize-group inserts into the
custom-set-variable block about not having more than one
custom-set-variable in init files

Do you think that's reasonable, or am I just being a paranoid luddite?
(Like a paranoid android, except not as robotic ...)

tc