[emacs-wiki-discuss] planner's ambivalence on non-CamelCase plan page na

From: Maciej Kalisiak
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner's ambivalence on non-CamelCase plan page names
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:29:10 -0400

Everything was running smoothly, until recently I noticed that when my tasks
from previous day were moved to "today's" daily page, their dates were not
being updated in the corresponding plan pages.  A manual C-c C-t C-u didn't
seem to update the date either.  planner-update-task would not even put the
task on the plan page if it was missing.  After much elisp tracing (and
learning :), I've found the root of my problem: a few of my plan pages were
not truly CamelCase (e.g., "Research", instead of, say, "ResearchPage"), while
a recent patch to planner now checks for CamelCase (the match check against
emacs-wiki-name-regexp in planner-task-info-from-string) when trying to parse
out the linked task page name.  Prior to this patch non-Camelcase pages worked
fine.

So... if you're having similar symptoms, double check that you do not have
such non-CamelCase pages.

Even though I've now fixed up all my page names (and the links to them within
other pages; ugh! luckily "perl -npi.bak 's/\[Foo/\[FooPage'" saved the day),
I can still see it as a likely mistake in the future that I'll create a new
plan page which again is non-CamelCase.  After all, planner seems to accept
such names without any reservations, and displays them (due to the "[[foo]]"
link syntax) like any other link.  It would thus be nice if planner got a lot
more strict about CamelCase whenever it asks the user to input a plan/wiki
page name.  Or, if non-truly-CamelCase names, like "Fooo" are to be allowed,
then planner-task-info-from-string needs to be fixed.

--
Maciej Kalisiak       mac "at" dgp.toronto.edu       www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mac