[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner mode and Info

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner mode and Info
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:06:41 -0400

Sacha wrote:

>Tim O'Callaghan <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm not much of a lisp hacker, so i can only suggest something like:
>> (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list (expand-file-name planner-root)
>
>The planner-root might be a bit difficult. I guess we really should
>just have a proper Makefile that bytecompiles stuff and installs them
>into the right directories. Does anyone already have one of those
>lying around? =)

No, please don't do that!  It's not that hard to manually install the
planner info file.  But what is hard is to troubleshoot a broken
makefile, which you need additional software to run.

I submitted additions to the planner documentation with regard to
adding the planner info file to the Emacs info root, and I also
included advice on byte-compiling the el files.  This documentation
also is available on the web (or will be when the changes are
approved) for those who have trouble viewing the
info file.  Let me know if it needs to be more detailed -- I can
oblige.  Anything to stave off makefiles.

Please know that before I "found" planner, I considered records-mode.
But I was never even able to install it.  It requires Cygwin, which
runs a makefile, which invokes a hideously-long Unix shell script,
which almost appeared to work on my Windows 2000 setup.

Frankly, install code for Emacs modes should be written in eLisp.
It's the one thing common to the install base.  If everyone feels it's
necessary to automate the planner-mode installation, tell users to
visit planner-install.el and invoke evaluate-buffer.

Peace.

--
Raymond Zeitler <address@hidden>