emacs-tangents

Re: Blog post

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Blog post
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 13:16:56 +0100

> Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 9:29 PM
> From: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: "Eshel Yaron" <me@eshelyaron.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Blog post
>

> Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > From your experience, have your rants been justified ? Introspection
> > of other people's rants should be considered part of the work.  After
> > all, expletives towards demigods have occurred since time immemorial,
> > and will surely continue.
>
> Yes, they were totally justified — but usually not helpful. Most times
> they needlessly hurt people who then often stopped contributing. A
> friendly text may have helped to stay together and actually fix the
> problem to move forward as community. - Arne

Nobody gets hurt.   It is commonly a type of vengeance (a form of
retaliation) intended to dissuade contrarian views directed towards
the developers.

The Gnu Project is built on the fundamental premise that software is for
the benefit of its users, not solely its developers.  This perspective
emphasizes the importance of creating an inclusive and collaborative
community where users can contribute, share ideas, and provide feedback
without reprisals from developers - unlike what generally happens with
Proprietary Software Developers.

The "Information for Gnu Maintainers" states that when a developer receives
a report, the maintainers have to keep in mind that such reports are crucial
for our work - so always thank each person who sends a report.

This is not to say that a considerate peaceful problem solving should not
be the common way of approaching the developer team.  Ultimately the job
of the maintainers is to exercise their authority so they can focus upon
improving the next version of the program.  Stopping one's contribution
rather than exercising one's authority is Conflict Avoidance that shows
a Lack of Responsibility - a sign of failure.

----- Christopher Dimech
Administrator General - Chilkat Design Build - Naiad Informatics - Gnu Project

Society has become too quick to pass judgement and declare someone
Persona Non-Grata, the most extreme form of censure a country can
bestow.

In a new era of destructive authoritarianism, I support Richard
Stallman.  Times of great crisis are also times of great
opportunity.  I call upon you to make this struggle yours as well !

https://www.gnu.org     https://www.fsf.org/