emacs-tangents

Re: [OT] Not clobbering bash history

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [OT] Not clobbering bash history
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 22:54:09 -0500

  > > If two different shells will try to write history into one single file,
  > > are they doomed to give bad results, one way or another...

  > Not necessarily.  If both shells use a single write() syscall on an
  > O_APPEND file, they should work as expected to my awareness.

We are miscommunicating.  The way you expect it to work is, in my
opinion, a bad result -- various histories interspersed.

It seems to me that the crucial thing is for each Bash process
to have its own separate history.

Do you think that behavior would be bad?

  > If a bash process decides to rotate the history file as a result of
  > HISTSIZE, and another bash process decides to do the same, one of their
  > new history entries would be lost due to the other one overriding it.
  > This would be a bug.

Only if they share one single history file.  If each has its own
history file, each can handle it as if it were your only Bash process.