emacs-tangents

Re: [OT] Not clobbering bash history

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: [OT] Not clobbering bash history
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 12:52:09 +0700

On Thu, 7 Dec 2023 at 12:40, <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:

> Isn't it obvious?  If I have several terminals open at the same time
> (and I seldom have fewer than, say, three, usually more), sharing
> history is very useful.  It easy to remember that I issued some kind of
> command, but much more difficult to remember in which terminal I did it.

To add to this: The original terminal where I issued the command I
need might be busy, e.g. if I started some application in it. It might
be inconvenient to suspend that application just to get at the
command. Important special case: the application that’s occupying the
terminal where the original command was entered is Midnight Commander
running a sub-shell in which I want to repeat that command.