emacs-tangents

Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 22:42:02 +0300

> From: joakim@verona.se
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>,
>   emacs-tangents@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 21:07:41 +0200
>
> - if I'm connected to an emacs session by ssh, and mistakenly make a
>   cli command dump tens of megabytes of spewage to the shell buffer, I'm in
> trouble
>   and cant easily get out of it. I need to open a new ssh session and
>   kill the rampaging cli. This is quite tedious. Would concurrency fix this?

This should be doable, and doesn't come anywhere near the "rewrite"
job.  You just need a way of blocking the output from the shell, and
then use Emacs commands to kill it.

> - Same for long-lines, this is still not a solved problem.

You didn't try Emacs 29 yet, did you?

> - Gnus refreshes slowly, maybe that could be helped with concurrency,
>   but it could also be helped with more async work in gnus.

Concurrency can help you keep reading messages while Gnus refreshes in
parallel, but it won't easily help you refresh faster, unless someone
comes up with a way of collecting the update in parallel chunks (in
which case they should be able to do that today with the emacs-async
package, I think).