emacs-tangents

Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 01:47:53 +0700

On Wed, 13 Sept 2023 at 01:23, chad <yandros@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's also possible that there's some adaptation that will arise, perhaps
> along the lines of how web workers/service worker threads interact with the
> DOM in the modern browser, that keeps Emacs going even longer.

Actually, as far as I understand, service workers don’t interact with
the DOM. They have access to offline storage that lets them keep
state, and they can intercept requests ordinarily destined to their
origin servers and respond to them in lieu of the server.

Web workers don’t have access to the DOM either; instead, they listen
for and respond to JSON messages sent by page scripts.

So nothing new here: concurrency gets much easier when you disallow
(or vastly minimize) shared state.