Re: [O] New maintainer

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] New maintainer
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 15:22:43 +0200

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> It's also been a pleasure to witness the surprisingly successful
> marriage of two different coding styles: Bastien's damn-the-torpedoes
> patch-the-SOB-and-get-it-out-the-door approach, matched with Nicolas'
> return to first principles: structure and cleanliness. I'm quite
> convinced that the two approaches have been equally essential to Org
> mode's current success (and advance apologies for any perceived
> mischaracterizations!).

Yeah.

Let me quote Jamie Zawinski's interview from "Coders at work":

  Zawinski: [...] It's great to rewrite your code and make it cleaner
  and by the third time it'll actually be pretty.  But that's not the
  point---you're not here to write code, you're here to ship products.

  Seibel: Folks engaged in overengineering usually say, "Well, once
  I've got this framework in place everything will be easy after that.
  So I'll actually save time by doing this.

  Zawinski: That is always the theory.

  Seibel: And there are times when that theory is true, when someone
  has good sense and the framework isn't too elaborate, and it does
  save time.

I actually agree with both points of view, especially with the last
sentence.  And it's easy to play jwz when you can trust someone for
playing the other role :)

--
 Bastien