[Orgmode] Re: search for DEADLINE in warning period

From: Łukasz Stelmach
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: search for DEADLINE in warning period
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:39:49 +0100

[...]
>>> This ist just to explain what "near" means in the sentence before.
>>> I have improved the docstring, thanks.
>>
>> And I've made it work with 'near and 'far symbols.
>>
>> Now org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date can be set to:
>>
>> nil     - to show (not ignore) notes with deadline timestamps
>> 'far    - to ignore notes which are further than the warning period
>> 'near   - to hide deadlines that are really close, good for an
>> ostrich ;-)
>> non-nil - do not show *any* notes with deadline timestamps on a todo
>
> I am wondering: What would be a good use case for the `far' setting?

As I've described it somewhere before I use it (and SCHEDULED) for
sending messages to myself in the future. The DEADLINE means to me:

  You've got to finish this job before certain time. But don't worry
  about it if it is not org-deadline-close *now*, you won't find it
  on your todo list too.

SCHEDULED means more or less the same except that there is no date I
should complete the job before and I put -SCHEDULED>="<now>" in all my
filters. For example I've sent send the announcement yesterday, changed
the the keyword to WAITING and put "SCHEDULED: <2010-02-13 sob>".  Then
if I wouldn't have found your reply in my inbox by Saturday I would see
the WAITING item on my todo list.

This is kind of artificial limb util someone writes
org-reality-depend.el. I haven't decided yet how to cope with all this
conditions on a timed agenda view.

--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach