Re: [Orgmode] Unable to clock in on task

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Unable to clock in on task
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:35:45 -0400

Keith Lancaster <address@hidden> wrote:

> I updated to 6.32 this morning and am now unable to clock in on
> tasks. At first, there was an issue with an org file having a dangling
> clock-
> in. When I attempted to log in to a task, it alerted me to the
> dangling task. No matter how I answered (cancel, etc), Emacs crashed.
> I then fixed the dangling clock in question and tried again. Now,
> emacs crashed immediately without displaying a menu. I am guessing
> that the issue is still related to a dangling clock-in, but cannot be
> sure. Is there a way to disable the clock-checking feature? I'm on
> emacs 23 cocoa on Snow Leopard.

The culprit must be the "emacs 23 cocoa on Snow Leopard" part.
It works fine (in the sense that "it does not lead to emacs crashes") on
Linux:

   Org-mode version 6.32 (release_6.32.8.g9077)
   GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9) of 2009-10-13
on gamaville.dokosmarshall.org

I don't clock much (maybe one of these years, when I find the time...
the usual excuse of the procrastinator :-), so I'm not sure how things
are supposed to work. I tried to clock in a task from the agenda (using
I), I get a "dangling clock" message, I select cancel and everything is
fine.  I then clock out and the clock gets updated appropriately. I then
clock in again and get another dangling clock warning (with ~120000 mins
on it).  After doing it a few times on a couple of different items, I
don't get the dangling messages any more either. I guess all the clocks I had
started way back when, when I was playing with clocks, and had not closed,
were found, dealt with, and now I'm all set - maybe.

If anything is really wrong, I'm sure we'll get an earful when Bernt
(aka the king of clocking) upgrades !-)

As for turning things off, the following two (excerpted from org-clock.el)
might help (untested):

,----
| (defcustom org-clock-idle-time nil
|   "When non-nil, resolve open clocks if the user is idle more than X minutes."
|   :group 'org-clock
|   :type '(choice
|         (const :tag "Never" nil)
|         (integer :tag "After N minutes")))
|
| (defcustom org-clock-auto-clock-resolution 'when-no-clock-is-running
|   "When to automatically resolve open clocks found in Org buffers."
|   :group 'org-clock
|   :type '(choice
|         (const :tag "Never" nil)
|         (const :tag "Always" t)
|         (const :tag "When no clock is running" when-no-clock-is-running)))
`----

HTH,
Nick