Re: Improving aesthetics & readability of backquote

From: 조성빈
Subject: Re: Improving aesthetics & readability of backquote
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 01:13:18 +0900

2019. 5. 23. 오전 12:57, Michael Heerdegen <address@hidden> 작성:

> "Paul W. Rankin" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Me:     As a comparatively new user, I remember when learning Emacs
>>        I found this part ugly and confusing. Here is a suggestion
>>        from such a perspective on how it could be improved.
>
> Most people participating here have learned Lisp long time ago, so they
> probably don't remember how it was.

I learned Common Lisp about a year ago, and is teaching my friend CL. I learned
Elisp a bit later, because I tried to customize my Emacs (which I started to
use because of SLIME).
I think it’s pretty fair for me to say about beginner experiences.

> I'm quite sure that ` and , are indeed ugly, make Lisp more complicated
> and harder to learn.  But they have a huge advantage that more than
> outweighs all of that: they make complex list constructions much better
> readable.  But only after one got used to them.  Once you did get used
> to this syntax, it's invaluable.

I would say, it is indeed ugly; but it wasn’t a pain point. That’s not
something begginers would say it’s complicated or harder to learn.
And, it allows beginners to gripe what ‘macro’ is, because it’s similar enough
with real code to show that macros generate ‘code’ and different enough with
real code to show that macros ‘generate’ code.
I immediately understood what macros do by just looking at the backquote, and
my friend is having a similar experience.