Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 55ec674: * lisp/multifile.el: New file, extract

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 55ec674: * lisp/multifile.el: New file, extracted from etags.el
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 02:27:33 +0200

On 27.12.2018 16:39, Stefan Monnier wrote:

I think TRT is to take the above common-prefix-directory, add it to the
prompt, and remove it from each completion candidate: this will keep
substring completion working correctly (and working even better since
it won't uselessly find matches in the common prefix) and will also
clarify where the search takes place.

Now done in master.

But I think it illustrates a common completion pitfall we have:

1. M-x project-find-file (while inside Emacs sources)
2. Type 'GNU', then TAB, then TAB again.
3. It completes to 'GNUmakefile' and insists it is 'Sole completion'. Even though e.g. etc/GNUS-USERS exists.

Not necessarily: we could accumulate the prefix as long as it's the
sole completion.

I've decided against writing a wrapper that pipes the whole collection through 'substring' every time it is called. So for now it also requires a flat collection.