Re: Replace trivial pcase occurrences in the Emacs sources

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Replace trivial pcase occurrences in the Emacs sources
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2018 22:02:51 +0200

> From: "Garreau\, Alexandre" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2018 20:35:41 +0100
>
> Let’s say this was in a language were arguments evaluation order is not
> specified, and it is wrapped as macro/function
> set-two-vars-from-car-and-caddr,
> how wouldn’t that match your definition?
>
> After all this later form can be considered as atomic, or pcase as not
> atomic (it will necessarily get one value before the other)

That's implementation details.  We are talking about defining the
concept.

> > It didn't look like a more clear description to me, no.
>
> Do you have some more precise suggestion on why is not clear and how to
> clearly phrase the concept of “specifying a matched data structure”

One problem with your suggestion is that destructuring itself doesn't
need specification of a matching structure to extract values into,
that's only needed for destructuring binding.

When explaining destructuring binding, I used "object of compatible
structure" because I deliberately wanted to avoid using the concept of
"matching", which can easily cause misinterpretation due to its other
meanings in the context of Emacs.

> should I just give up and accept the rest of world is fine with a more
> loose, large, less specific, and according to me, wrong, definition of
> “destructuring”?

That's also an option, of course.

Yet another option is to trust my experience in writing Emacs
documentation a little more.