Re: Resending email in Gnus, figuring out charset

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Resending email in Gnus, figuring out charset
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 21:15:33 +0200

> From: Adam Sjøgren <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 19:51:57 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Eli writes:
>
> >> As I wrote, I get (raw-text no-conversion)
>
> > This means you have raw bytes in the mail body, so I think the problem
> > is elsewhere: where those bytes originated.
>
> I'm not sure I understand that.
>
> The Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit header means "raw bytes in the
> body", and the Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8 explains how
> those bytes should be interpreted, right?

These headers tell the receiving end how to interpret the message.
But I meant something different: what you have in the Gnus buffer
_before_ the message is sent.

> When I look at the feedbase-email in Gnus, it is displayed as expected,
> but when I try to resend it, for some reason Gnus can't guess what the
> encoding should be.

That's a sign of raw bytes in the buffer.

If you go to one of the offending characters in the Gnus buffer and
type "C-u C-x =", what does Emacs show about those characters?