Re: i18n/l10n summary

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: i18n/l10n summary
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 13:18:09 +0900

1) packages.el

I just want to remind interested parties that packages.el has seen most of its strings "straightened" so that they don't rely on English grammatical structures (s for plurals, etc.)

The modifications changed strings like:

"3 packages have been updated"

into

"Number of updated packages: 3"

as well as a few other things.

I'd like to thank Eli, Noam and a few others (sorry that I forgot your names) for the coding hints.

2) other packages with user facing strings

There are lots of packages that have user facing strings, and most of them use code to produce English grammar structures (a simple case is if a number is greater than 1 then add an "s" to the string). Such code should be fixed to remove the reliance on English grammatical structures. Similarly, code constructs that create a given word order ( (concat "Nominal group" "Verbal group" "Nominal group", for ex) must be fixed so that they are the most "natural language" agnostic possible.

It would be nice if people check the packages.el modifications and try to adapt other packages in the same spirit.

3) I heard that Xemacs had the infrastructure required to support gettext are there people here familiar with this aspect of Xemacs ?

Jean-Christophe