Re: Emacs release schedule and Akihito's abdication

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs release schedule and Akihito's abdication
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 10:09:52 +0300

> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 01:00:45 -0400
>
> On 2018-07-27 19:41, Paul Eggert wrote:
> > Clément Pit-Claudel wrote:
> >> Can you clarify how Japanese text would break?
> >
> > Sorry, I don't know exactly. One thing is that the regular expression
> > [[:alpha:]] wouldn't match the new character even though it'll be
> > alphabetic. Although I expect more issues will arise, not being a
> > heavy-duty Japanese user I don't know what they'll be.
>
> Thanks.  Maybe someone else on the list will have further insight :)

I'm not sure it is worth the hassle, but one might go through
admin/notes/Unicode, and consider whether any of the stuff we do there
when importing a new Unicode version may or may not be affected by
this issue.

Regardless, we always try to comply to the latest version of the
Unicode standard when we release Emacs, so if a draft of Unicode will
have existed with the new character by the time we make the release,
we could use that.