Re: Emacs release schedule and Akihito's abdication

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Emacs release schedule and Akihito's abdication
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 01:00:45 -0400

On 2018-07-27 19:41, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Clément Pit-Claudel wrote:
>> Can you clarify how Japanese text would break?
>
> Sorry, I don't know exactly. One thing is that the regular expression
> [[:alpha:]] wouldn't match the new character even though it'll be alphabetic.
> Although I expect more issues will arise, not being a heavy-duty Japanese
> user I don't know what they'll be.

Thanks.  Maybe someone else on the list will have further insight :)

> From the Unicode point of view, the issue is not merely assigning a code
> point for the new character (that's already done: it'll be U+32FF)

Indeed (I read your two links with great interest, and these issues were what I
alluded to in mentioning C-u x =).  The point about [[:alpha:]] is a good one.
If it's the only issue, maybe we could save an extra release by ensuring that
[:alpha:] includes U+32FF (we don't need to know what U+32FF will look like to
add it to the appropriate regex class).

As I mentioned earlier, this is mostly curiosity :)
Clément.