Re: movemail location

From: Joseph Mingrone
Subject: Re: movemail location
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 12:20:00 -0300

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Joseph Mingrone <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 23:45:33 -0300

>> > And mine doesn't?  If so, could you say why?

>> Let's make sure we are on the same page.

>> This is what Robert suggested.

>> "Perhaps gnus should check in 'exec-directory' first if
>> mail-source-movemail-program is nil, and then fall back to
>> 'executable-find'? Or perhaps we should just forget about 'our' movemail
>> and require people to install Mailutils.

>> I think you are suggesting that Gnus simply specify the executable name,
>> movemail, and PATH will take care of finding it.  Is that correct?
>> Assuming that works, that also seems reasonable.  The only possible
>> drawback could be for users who specify a value for
>> `mail-source-movemail-program'.  Won't that value be ignored?

> Sorry, I should have been more explicit.  My suggestion is to replace
> this:

>                     (apply
>                      'call-process
>                      (append
>                       (list
>                        (or mail-source-movemail-program
>                            (expand-file-name "movemail" exec-directory))
>                        nil errors nil from to)))))

> with this:

>                     (apply
>                      'call-process
>                      (append
>                       (list
>                        (or mail-source-movemail-program "movemail")
>                        nil errors nil from to)))))

> Since call-process calls the moral equivalent of executable-find
> internally, calling executable-find during initialization is
> redundant: call-process will find movemail on exec-path; moreover,
> Robert's suggestion will not work if movemail was installed or moved
> after mail-source.el was loaded.

> Did I succeed to explain myself this time?

Yes, this is clear and seems reasonable.

The way things work now, if a user configures using --with-mailutils=no,
then he will be guaranteed by default [1] to be using Emacs' own
movemail installed under exec-directory.  This will change with your
suggestion.  I think that's reasonable, but we were just pointing out
that the default behaviour will change.

[1] Since mail-source-movemail-program default to nil