Re: Off Topic

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Off Topic
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 11:03:33 +0200

>   > > We have such things but we haven't adopted any of them in Emacs itself.
>
>   > Doesn't rx.el qualify?
>
> It's an example of what I said.  We have it, but we don't actually use it
> much if at all.  This suggests to me that it has drawbacks which prevent
> it from being clearly superior.

Iʼve never used rx.el because I didnʼt know it existed. Itʼs not
described in the regular expression chapter of the emacs lisp
reference manual, nor in the emacs user manual.

> If someone comes up with a replacement syntax that reduces the drawbacks,
> we might start using it all the time.

Documenting rx.el would be a more productive use of time, I think,
especially since Iʼve now noticed via reading rx.el that we already
have sregex as well. Let's pick one rather than inventing a third
syntax.

Robert