Re: Off Topic (was: bug#31544)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Off Topic (was: bug#31544)
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 23:24:07 -0400

  > If a voice-recognition module is workable and Emacs has the skill
  > to compose raw regexps from less terse human friendly natural
  > language statements, with marks and point at data, would it be
  > easy to marry the two?

We don't have adequate free software for voice recognition, as far as
I know, and we should not add Emacs support for any such nonfree
program.

Compiling a clearer syntax into regexps is feasible.
We have such things but we haven't adopted any of them in Emacs itself.
Perhaps they are not really convenient.  It would be good to figure out
why not, and make one that is convenient to use, and then use it.

Perhaps the inconvenience has to do with combining the complex
parts of the regexp with the simple strings to match.  Is that so?

--
Dr Richard Stallman