Re: [Emacs 26] Possible bug with TRAMP accessing some files when using h

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [Emacs 26] Possible bug with TRAMP accessing some files when using hops
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 10:20:31 +0100

Nicolas Petton <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Nico,

> Before I report a bug for Emacs 26, I want to confirm an issue.

Wouldn't be a problem for me. Closing bugs as not-a-bug is so easy, in
case of :-)

> I started using hops recently to access remote files as root (using
> sudo), like the following:
>
>   C-x C-f /ssh:address@hidden|sudo:localhost:/etc/deluser.conf

I don't know whether it is related, but the second host name shall be
the same like the first one. Something like
/ssh:address@hidden|sudo:example.com:/etc/deluser.conf

> It works fine most of the times, but sometimes I end up with an empty
> buffer.
>
> This always happens with the same files, like /etc/deluser.conf on a
> clean debian stretch (/etc/hosts works fine for instance).
>
> I cannot see any obvious reason like file permissions or attributes, so
> the issue is really puzzling me.
>
> I have tested this with the latest commit on the emacs-26 branch on two
> different machines, with two different remote hosts (both debian stretch
> though).

Pls set tramp-verbose to 6, and send the Tramp debug buffer once it
failed. In case of confidentiality problems, send it just to me (if possible).

> Cheers,
> Nico

Best regards, Michael.