[Emacs 26] Possible bug with TRAMP accessing some files when using hops

From: Nicolas Petton
Subject: [Emacs 26] Possible bug with TRAMP accessing some files when using hops
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 10:09:53 +0100

Hi,

Before I report a bug for Emacs 26, I want to confirm an issue.

I started using hops recently to access remote files as root (using
sudo), like the following:

  C-x C-f /ssh:address@hidden|sudo:localhost:/etc/deluser.conf

It works fine most of the times, but sometimes I end up with an empty
buffer.

This always happens with the same files, like /etc/deluser.conf on a
clean debian stretch (/etc/hosts works fine for instance).

I cannot see any obvious reason like file permissions or attributes, so
the issue is really puzzling me.

I have tested this with the latest commit on the emacs-26 branch on two
different machines, with two different remote hosts (both debian stretch
though).

Cheers,
Nico