Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Tim Landscheidt
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 10:31:10 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I'm not particularly concerned about "easing the burden", but rather
>> about improving the quality: when the commit message just paraphrases
>> the diff, the commit message is not very useful

> Since ChangeLog is generated from Git log, it _is_ useful when all you
> have is the ChangeLog.  Which could happen if, for example, you want
> to work on Emacs while off-line during a long flight.

> […]

Especially for long offline durations I find Git simply won-
derful: You don't just have the tar balls you have download-
ed prior to going offline, you have essentially all of them.
And when you want to pull a patch from another user's repo-
sitory or something similar, Git will minimize the data vol-
ume transferred.  Combined with GNU's habit of including all
relevant documentation in the source repository (and not in
another or on some web site only available by http), this
makes GNU software simply a treat to develop for.

Tim