Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 12:22:03 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
You simply misunderstood me: I didn't mean the hardware.

Then I'm afraid you weren't clear. I don't know why academic environments would be significantly different from home environments when it comes to Emacs hacking in general or Git support in particular.

Even in places where network connectivity is limited, I don't see why a serious Emacs hacker would intentionally avoid the Git repository and instead download and manipulate tarballs by hand. Git doesn't need constant network connectivity, and its benefit (in terms of examining and managing Emacs history) far exceeds the few minutes of delay in the initial download.