Re: emacs-26 3fc05cf: Scripts to automate windows binary distribution

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: emacs-26 3fc05cf: Scripts to automate windows binary distribution
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 07:03:25 -0400

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 4:37 AM, Phillip Lord
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I started off writing this in bash, but it's such a pain that I ported
> it to python which ended up much nicer. Given that this file has about a
> 15-20 minute run time, this seemed a useful thing to me. As it happens
> it was also easy to make it go quicker which is important because it
> means that I can do the build in the evening, rather than over two
> evenings.

Hmm, looking at the python, I don't see anything that couldn't be
easily done in bash, and if it was me, I would probably use bash for
this; but if you prefer python I don't see a problem with that.

> I'll probably port build-zips.sh at some point as well.

Python seems even less advantageous there, since it's mostly calling
external commands, no?

PS: With regards to making things run quicker, you might want to
consider passing --cache-file=../../config.cache.$ARCH to configure.
It would probably save a minute or two per build.