Re: emacs-26 3fc05cf: Scripts to automate windows binary distribution

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: emacs-26 3fc05cf: Scripts to automate windows binary distribution
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 13:06:30 +0200

Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> writes:

Hi kaushal,

> It would be bad if this contribution is reverted *just because* the
> script is written in Python. I have gone through pain in real world
> where just because the upper management doesn't like one language,
> stuff written in that language has to be rewritten in another. In my
> experience, it's simply a waste of time, demoralizing, and a source
> for introduction of new bugs.

Of course, I appreciate heavily what Phil has done.

I'm not against Python scripts per se in Emacs. I just would like to see
a decision that they are acceptable. And it shall be documented
somewhere, which kind of interpreters are accepted for Emacs scripts at all.

> While the "introduction of bugs" might not apply to this 1 standalone
> script, it would be nice if the same bike shedding doesn't happen in
> the Emacs world too.

It's not bike shedding. It's about future maintainability of Emacs. If
everybody contributes scripts in her pet language, we will have a
situation that those scripts cannot be maintained any longer in the
future.

Best regards, Michael.