Re: [ELPA] New package: mctags

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: mctags
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 11:47:42 +0300

> From: chen bin <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 12:39:54 +1100
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> >> - If there are multiple matches, you can filter the candidates in
> >> candidate window.
> >
> > I think xref-find-definitions, when it uses the etags back-end,
> > already supports that, doesn't it?
> I've been using xref for some time. As I can see, it just gives your
> the list of matches in a buffer. It can't filter further with pattern
> or negative pattern or combination of patterns.

The list is usually very short (most of the time, only one candidate),
so the need for sophisticated filtering is quite low.

> But it's totally fine if you use mctags only for code navigation and
> leave TAGS creation to other solutions.
>
> Please note mctags RESPECTS the existing tags file created by other
> solutions. mctags will NOT override existing TAGS created by other
> programs (Makefile, for example) without user's confirmation.

I understand.  It just seemed to me that, if we ignore for the moment
the features for creating/updating TAGS, what's left is very little,
and its contribution to the existing functionality is minor.  It
doesn't seem to justify a new package.

Maybe a better way forward is to extend etags.el with a few optional
features.

Anyway, these are just my opinions.  I'd be interested to hear from
others.

Thanks.