Re: Emacs26: Quick thoughts on display-line-numbers-mode

From: Matthew Plant
Subject: Re: Emacs26: Quick thoughts on display-line-numbers-mode
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 11:52:01 -0700

I agree with this, and also think there should be more customization
options.

Previously with linum I set the background of the fringe to be
different from the background of the buffer, so that the line number
column was distinct from the rest of the text buffer. It would be great
to have this option back, especially as I was excited that the
background color would finally reach the bottom of the screen when I
was reading the end of a file.

I think the two options needed for both of us would perhaps be some
sort of format string (perhaps identical to linum mode's) and then some
background option.

That being said display-line-numbers-mode effectively saved my desktop
experience. I have a 4k display so I will often have four windows of
the same file open vertically. I was recently doing this with a file
that is about 2k lines and inputting characters was causing so much
slow down that emacs was near unusable. Of course, profiling indicated
and action confirmed that linum mode was to blame.

Additionally with this change I can finally get rid of the fringe,
which makes resizing via mouse much easier.