Re: Suspicious warning in W64 build

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suspicious warning in W64 build
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2017 10:33:17 +0300

> From: Richard Copley <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 22:08:04 +0100
> Cc: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>, Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs Development <address@hidden>
>
> >> Would you mind also suppressing warnings from find-file-noselect
> >> when called from autoload-find-generated-file, please, if you don't
> >> object?
> >
> > Sorry, I'm not sure that's the right solution in that case.  We should
> > try to understand why the problem happens in the first place.  E.g., I
> > don't see it here (but I don't use MinGW64 or MSYS2).
>
> Seriously (not being rude)?

Yes, seriously.  You'd expect that much of me, won't you?

> It seems a lot of work for not much benefit.

Not IME.  I frequently find that the real root cause of such obscure
problems is something altogether unexpected, and sometimes it's the
tip of an iceberg.  So I generally find looking into the root causes
of such problems beneficial.

> That conversion happens often, e.g., in normalize_filename.

What conversion is that?

> And it's unlikely a warning from find_file_noselect there is ever
> going to be helpful in catching a new bug.

You may be right.  But we will only know for sure when we have
understood the root cause.  It could very well be that there is indeed
a bug, and this warning has already caught it, except that it went
unnoticed until now, because it was never reported before.

For starters, can you or Angelo tell where did that upper-case "C:/"
originate from?  Also, are there other places in the build process
that display file names with the upper-case drive letter?

Thanks.