Re: Suspicious warning in W64 build

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suspicious warning in W64 build
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 17:40:55 +0300

> From: Richard Copley <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 02:01:09 +0100
> Cc: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>, Emacs Development <address@hidden>
>
> > I expect others who use MinGW64 to care enough to report and fix these
> > problems.
>
> I care and I'm encouraged by your words. I will do what I can.

Thank you.

> >     CC       frame.o
> >   frame.c: In function 'make_terminal_frame':
> >   frame.c:1098:46: warning: unknown conversion type character 'l' in format
> > [-Wformat=]
> >      fset_name (f, make_formatted_string (name, "F%"pMd,
> > ++tty_frame_count));
> >                                                 ^~~~
> >   In file included from
> > C:/msys64/mingw64/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include/inttypes.h:299:0,
> >                    from C:/projects/emacs/nt/inc/inttypes.h:24,
> >                    from lisp.h:31,
> >                    from frame.c:29:
> >   C:/msys64/mingw64/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include/_mingw_print_pop.h:77:19:
> > note: format string is defined here
> >    #define PRIdMAX "lld"
> >                      ^
> >   frame.c:1098:46: warning: too many arguments for format
> > [-Wformat-extra-args]
> >      fset_name (f, make_formatted_string (name, "F%"pMd,
> > ++tty_frame_count));
> >                                                 ^~~~
> >
> > How come the compiler doesn't recognize format specifiers defined on
> > the system headers?  And note that as result GCC ignores some
> > arguments of fset_name, which might mean it actually generates wrong
> > code for this function.
> >
> > This should be taken up with MinGW64 developers ASAP, because I don't
> > see how we can fix this in Emacs.
>
> I don't disagree. My impression is that Alexey and co. at MinGW-W64
> are well aware of it. I don't know if there's a solution in the
> pipeline. I'm not the best person to press the point there (but ask me
> one more time and I will try).

I can write to them myself, if you tell me what would be the best
forum to do so.

> If you want, I will get you a transcript from the unpatched Emacs git
> master branch as I should have done in the first place.

No need for now.  Let's try to fix the problems with formats first.

There are also a few problems in unexw32.c, but they only affect
debugging code, so it's not urgent to fix them (and the solution also
involves format specifications).