Re: Deprecate TLS1.0 support in emacs

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Deprecate TLS1.0 support in emacs
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2017 19:09:36 -0400

On Fri, 04 Aug 2017 17:21:56 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

SM> Agreed.  This functionality is for use when Emacs wants to notify the
SM> user about something happening elsewhere than where the user is
SM> currently focused.
>> I respectfully disagree. Notifications don't have an implicit user
>> attention scope. They are posted no matter where the user is focused,
>> typically in a globally shared area of the screen to make them easy to
>> notice and consistent in appearance.

SM> But exactly because it's posted in a area independent from the current
SM> focus, it makes it rather undesirable to use it for something that is
SM> currently in focus.

You're right, I see your point.

Would it be acceptable to use the system notifications now, and start a
bigger effort to provide an Emacs-native, focus-aware notification
system? Or do you think such a system is easy enough that an
intermediate stage is just not needed?

SM> Can you give me examples where this notification area is used by other
SM> programs for something related to the current user's action?  In my
SM> experience, in such situations they'll rather use something like
SM> a tooltip, a dialog box, or some message shown within the application's
SM> own window.

I've seen it done for background actions that the user initiated. But
you're right that typically this is inside the application. I was
thinking of more generic notifications that are not bound to the user's
attention scope.

Ted