Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 2c8a7e5: Improve diff-mode navigation/manipulat

From: Dima Kogan
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 2c8a7e5: Improve diff-mode navigation/manipulation
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 17:27:45 -0800

Hi.

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> I appreciate the navigation fixes, but some of these changes made
> diff-auto-refine-mode work worse. In particular:
>
> - If there's just one hunk, I routinely pressed `n' to take advantage of
> the auto-refine behavior. And point moved to the end of the hunk.
>
> Now, pressing `n' gives me a ding at the top of the window, then some
> time passes (if the hunk is of a significant size), and auto-refine is
> applied. The point doesn't move.

I'm unclear about what the complaint is. Both the old and new behaviors
made the auto-refinement do its thing. Is the complaint that the point
no longer moves to the end (and if so, why is that "right"?) or is the
"ding" the "problem?

> - Another example: there are several hunks. I press `n', and the first
> one doesn't get refined. It only gets refined if I press `p' to jump
> back over it.

OK. The logic in place is to auto-refine the hunk at point after a
motion, which is why you're seeing this behavior. Are you seeing this
issue only with the first hunk in a buffer and only when you first load
such a buffer? If so, an auto-refinement call from a diff-mode-hook
would solve this. Sounds reasonable, or are such things frowned-upon?